University of Uyo (Uniuyo) Undergraduate Admission Requirements
This article will outline the distinctive admission requirements stipulated by the University of Uyo as specified by JAMB with regards to Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) and Direct Entry (DE). The University of Uyo Admission Requirements for candidates seeking admission into Undergraduate Programmes and other key points such as Deferment of Admission and Suspension of Studies, will also be outlined in this article.
Admission Criteria For Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) Candidates
Prospective candidates seeking admission into the University of Uyo through the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) are expected to meet the following requirements:
- »West African School Certificate, General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level) or Senior Secondary School Certificate with at least credit passes in five subjects, including English Language at not more than two sittings or equivalent qualifications (e.g. Merit in Teacher’s Grade II Certificate in approved subjects is recognized as equivalent to credit in the Senior Secondary School Certificate).
- »A satisfactory performance in the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination conducted by the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB).
- » A satisfactory performance in the Post-UTME Screening Exercise conducted by the University of Uyo (Uniuyo).
Admission Criteria for Direct Entry (DE) Candidates
Prospective candidates seeking admission into the University of Uyo through Direct Entry are expect to poses, in addition to ordinary level requirements, one of the followings:
- »General Certificate of Education at Advanced Level in at least two relevant subjects.
- »Ordinary National Diploma (OND) at Upper/Lower Credit level from recognized institutions.
- »Higher National Diploma (HND) at Upper/Lower Credit level from recognized institutions.
- »Nigeria Certificate in Education (NCE) with a minimum of merit in the relevant subject(s) from recognized institutions.
- »Bachelor’s degree from recognized institutions.
- Admission Requirements are subject to review from time to time and in addition to the above-stated general requirements, Departmental admission requirements stipulated by the University and reflected in the Brochure of the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) must be met by prospective candidates.
Admission Criteria for Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MB.BS) Degree In Uniuyo
Admission into the MB.BS Degree Programme is done either through the competitive JAMB examination, using accepted JAMB criteria for a six year programme; or by Direct Entry for a given year programme for candidates with AI Level GC/HSC or a good class degree in the Sciences.
Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination: Prospective candidates seeking admission through the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME), should poses a credit pass in five subjects in the SSCE/equivalent examination at not more than 2 sittings of each or any combination of the examinations; in Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and English Language are mandatory requirements.
Direct Entry Candidates: Prospective candidates seeking admission through the Direct Entry option should poses good grades in the following subjects: Chemistry, Physics, Biology or Zoology, plus a credit pass in English Language at WASCE or an equivalent examination; or a good class degree in the Sciences plus a credit pass in English Language at WASCE or an equivalent examination.
Admission Criteria Into the University of Uyo (Uniuyo) Sandwich Programme
Only holders of the following qualifications are eligible to apply for admission into the University of Uyo Sandwich Programme:
- »NCE with a minimum of seven (7) points and above in Education and the teaching subjects.
- »OND in relevant programmes.
- »General Nursing and Midwifery and Psychiatry Nursing with at least three (3) years post qualification experience may be eligible for admission for Health Education.
- »Candidates with (i) or (ii) above must, in addition, possess five (5) subjects at GCE (O/L), NECO/WASC/TC II, SSC including English Language at not more than two sittings and any other specific departmental requirement.
- »Programmes in Sciences, Vocational Education and Library Science require a credit pass in Mathematics. Holders of Diploma in Library Science with at least Lower Credit are also eligible for admission into BLIS Library & Information Science
Note: A credit pass in Chemistry is a requirement for candidates intending to offer Home Economics Education and Agricultural Education.
Duration of the programme
Candidates will complete the programme in five years (slots) of nine (9) weeks each.
Admission Criteria Into University of Uyo School of Continuing Education Part-Time Undergraduate Programmes
- »Candidates should possess (WASC/NECO/GCE) or their equivalent with credit passes in five (5) subjects at not more than two sittings, including English Language and other specific Departmental and Faculty requirements as specified in the JAMB brochure.
- »Candidates are expected to score a minimum of 180 and above in the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).
- »All candidates applying for admission into any of the Undergraduate Programmes must possess the academic qualifications as specified by the Joint Admissions and Matriculations Board for subject of choice.
- »Candidates are expected to undergo the University of Uyo qualification screening exercise.
- »Undergraduate programmes run for five (5) years for UTME candidates and four (4) years for Direct Entry candidates, except in the Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension which runs for six (6) years for UTME and five (5) years for Direct Entry candidates, respectively.
Recommended: Uniuyo Part-Time Undergraduate Programme
Criteria for Deferment of Admission in the University of Uyo (Uniuyo)
A candidate who seek to defer his/her admission for whatsoever shortcomings must meet up with the outline requirement in order for the request/application to be approved by Senate.
1) Must have appeared for screening and was found qualified for registration in the Department into which he was offered admission;
2) Must have formally accepted the admission and paid the Acceptance fee;
3) Must have one of the following reasons for deferment:
(a) financial constraint
(b) ill-health, in which case, he must submit a Medical Report authenticated by the Director of Health Services of the University.
(c) Non-release by employer
(d) family problem
The University of Uyo stipulates that under no circumstance should a candidate defer admission in order to make up for deficiency in admission requirements.
Criteria for Suspension of Studies In the University of Uyo
A registered and matriculated student of the University of Uyo can suspend his/her studies under the following conditions:
1) The student must have undergone screening, got registered and commenced studies for a period of time;
2) The student must have proffered the following reasons:
(a) financial constraint
3) The suspension of studies should normally be for a maximum period of one academic year in the first instance.
4) The application for suspension of studies should be submitted through the Head of Department to the Dean of Faculty.
5) The Faculty Board should deliberate on it and make a recommendation to Senate through the Business Committee of Senate.
In order not to miss out on prompt updates from careerinfos.com, enter your email address below and hit the subscribe button beneath.
A confirmation link will be sent to your inbox or check your spam mails if its not in your inbox. Make sure you click the link to confirm your subscription in order not to miss any updates from this blog. All comments (related to the post above) should be dropped via the comment section below.