Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit Program(PGWPP)

Requirements for a Canadian Postgraduate Work Permit

Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) is more of a lifeline for International students in Canada. Completing your studies as an international student in Canada does not have to spell the end of your stay in Canada. In reality, studying in Canada might be a quick way to obtain permanent residency in Canada.

Most international students utilize their education as a springboard to temporary employment and permanent residency in Canada. Canada’s Post-Graduation Work Permit Program(PGWPP) is one of the most popular options for international students who seek to gain permanent residency in Canada…

Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit ProgramCanada Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit Program

What is Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP)?

Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit Program (PGWPP) is intended to assist international students who have achieved a qualification from a Canadian Designated Learning Institution (DLI), such as a certificate, diploma, or degree, in residing in Canada and working.

International PGWP students studying in Canada will be granted an open work permit. Graduates will be able to work full-time, part-time, or as self-employed for any employer in Canada with this work visa. You may want to see how to get accredited to work in Canada.

How long is the validity of my Canadian Post-Graduation Work permit?

If successful, graduates will be free to work as many hours as they like, and the work visa will be valid for eight months to three years, depending on the duration of their education program. You might want to explore Jobs for International Students in Canada.

How to Calculate the Length of Your Canada PGWP

The following table shows how to calculate the length of your Canada Post-Graduation Work Permit based on the length of your academic program.

Calculating the Length of Your PGWP

Length of Study Program Length of Work Permit
Eight months – two years The same duration as your course of study (Master’s and PhD candidates may be eligible for a three-year work permit).
Two years or longer Three years
More than one program completed within two years Total duration of both programs

How long do I have to apply for PGWP after obtaining my transcript?

After getting your DLI transcript, you will have 180 days to submit your application for a Post-Graduation Work Permit. If your study permit is set to expire before you receive your final grades, you can apply for a visitor record to remain in Canada or depart and apply from outside the country.

What Are the Requirements for a Canadian Postgraduate Work Permit?

To be eligible for the PGWP, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have completed at least 8 months of an academic, vocational, or professional training program at an approved Canadian institution;
  • You must be a full-time student;
  • Have a transcript and an official letter from an eligible DLI indicating that you have satisfied the program’s criteria; and
  • Have or have had a valid study permit, or have been granted permission to study without a study permit. You may want to see how to obtain a Canadian Study Permit.

What is a Designated Learning Institution?

A Designated Learning Institution, or DLI, is a school that has been recognized by a province or territory to accept international students. This includes the following:

  • Public post-secondary institutions, such as colleges, trade or technical schools, universities;
  • Private post-secondary institutions in Quebec that offer qualifying programs of 900 hours or more;
  • A private Canadian institution allowed to award degrees under provincial legislation.

Can I Stay Back in Canada When I Graduate?

If you wish to stay in Canada after graduation, you can apply for a variety of programs.
A post-graduation work permit will enable you to obtain important Canadian work experience, which will allow you to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) visa and the Provincial Nomination Program.

What is A Canadian Experience Class

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is a visa category for temporary foreign employees in Canada who want to become permanent citizens. Temporary foreign employees are also excellent prospects for permanent residency and immigration to Canada.

How Can I Apply For Canadian Experience Class?

Applications for the Canadian Experience Class are processed using the new Express Entry system for immigration to Canada. Before making an application, candidates must indicate an interest in coming to Canada, create an online Express Entry profile, and obtain an Invitation to Apply for Permanent Residence. You might be interested in easiest ways to relocate to Canada.

What Is A Provincial Nominee Programs

Provincial Nominee Programs is an immigration program made available as an alternatives for graduates who have finished their studies in that province and want to stay and work in Canada or establish their own business.

What Canadian provinces have Provincial Nominee Programs?

Provincial Nomination Programs are available in the provinces listed below:

Canadian Province That Offers Provincial Nomination Programs

Prince Edward Island;
New Brunswick;
Nova Scotia;
Newfoundland and Labrador and;
British Columbia;

In order not to miss out on prompt updates from, enter your email address below and hit the subscribe button beneath.

A confirmation link will be sent to your inbox or check your spam mails if its not in your inbox. Make sure you click the link to confirm your subscription in order not to miss any updates from this blog. All comments (related to the post above) should be dropped via the comment section below.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Translate »