The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is pleased to encourage excellent, Pell-eligible, minority high school seniors to apply for the Gates Scholarship 2023.
Gates Scholarship 2023
For international students, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation offers a variety of scholarships and internships. Aside from university-based scholarships, the foundation offers a variety of other options.
The Bill and Melinda Gates scholarship, on the other hand, is for students who are committed to pursuing a full-time four-year degree at a US accredited, non-profit, private or public institution or university.
Related: Top Tips On Finding Scholarships
Bill & Melinda Foundation
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation seeks to help all people live healthy, productive lives, guided by the principle that every person has equal value. It focuses on improving people’s health and offering them the opportunity to escape hunger and extreme poverty in developing countries.
What You Need To Know The Gates Scholarship
The Gates Scholarship is highly competitive and selective.
In addition, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation will annually award 300 outstanding student leaders with the goal of advancing their academic brilliance through college graduation and allowing them to reach their full potential.
Level/Field of Study
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation offers scholarships to high school students who want to pursue undergraduate studies in any discipline.
The Gates scholarship can only be received and used in the United States.
Meanwhile, if you are an international student interested in studying in the United States, have a look at the best scholarships available for study in America.
Although the Gates scholarship targets minorities and people of color, it is only open to US citizens, nationals, and permanent residents.
Recommended: How To Write A Quality Scholarship Essay
Benefits Of Gates Scholarships
The Melinda and Bill Gates Foundation scholarship will cover the full cost of attendance not covered by other sources of funding, as well as the estimated family contribution, as assessed by the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
The cost of attendance, however, includes tuition, fees, accommodation and board, books, and transportation, as well as additional personal expenses.
Eligibility For Bill And Melinda Gates Scholarship?
As an international student, you may be eligible for the Gates Foundation scholarship through FAFSA eligibility; but, to be fully eligible for this scholarship, you must be:
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicity: African-American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- A minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale
- The student must plan to enroll full-time, in a four-year degree program, at the US accredited, not-for-profit, private or Public College or University.
Gates Scholarship Ideal Candidate
You must possess specific criteria in order to be considered for the Gates and Melinda scholarship.
An ideal candidate will possess the following qualities:
- An outstanding academic record in high school (in the top 10% of his/her graduating class),
- Demonstrated leadership ability (e.g., as shown through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities), and
- Exceptional personal success skills (e.g emotional maturity, motivation, perseverance, etc.).
Recommended: Career Choices And Courses Required
How To Apply For The Gates Foundation Scholarship
It is not difficult to apply for the Bill Gates scholarship in 2023. Follow the steps below to apply
- Simply go to the official Gates scholarship website and select the “Apply Now!” button in the top right corner.
- You would, however, need to register for the Gates Scholarship.
- By clicking the button below, you can sign up and start the gates scholarship application process:
Gates Scholarship Deadline and Important Dates
The application portal opens from July 15. The portal will be active until September 15 and will accept applications from interested applicants.
FAQ | Bill and Melinda Gates Scholarship 2023
Who is Eligible to Apply for the Gates Scholarship?
To apply for the Gates scholarship, students must be:
- A high school senior
- From at least one of the following ethnicities: African American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander American, and/or Hispanic American
- A US citizen, national, or permanent resident
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative weighted GPA of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale (or equivalent)
- A student must also intend to enroll full-time in a four-year degree program at a US-accredited non-profit, private or public institution or university.
What is Pell-eligibility?
The US Department of Education determines Pell eligibility once a student files the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). It is determined by the student’s academic plans, family contribution, and position as a full-time student.
Pell-eligible students’ household income varies. In recent years, 99 percent of Pell-eligible students hailed from families making less than $80,000 a year.
What grade level is required for students to apply? Do they have to be seniors in high school?
Only high school seniors are eligible to apply.
I completed and passed a General Education Development (GED) test. Are The Gates Scholarships available to me?
No, students with a GED diploma rather than a high school diploma are not eligible for the Gates Scholarship.
Is the Gates Scholarship applicable to any major?
Yes. There are no restrictions. The program pays for the Scholar’s bachelor’s degree in the major of his or her choice.
Are there any limitations on which schools a student can attend?
Yes. A student must enroll in a four-year, non-profit, private or public college or university in the United States.
Is it possible to enroll in an Associate’s Degree program at a community college and subsequently transfer to a four-year institution with the scholarship?
No. The Scholarship is only given to high school students who enroll in a four-year program without interruption after graduating from high school.
Is a student enrolling full-time in a four-year program at a community college eligible for The Gates Scholarship?
Yes. The student must, however, produce proof of full-time enrollment as a freshman in a four-year bachelor’s degree program at a community college.
Will my scholarship funds be affected if I am chosen as a Scholar and need to take a year out from school?
Scholarship recipients will be paid for a maximum of five years of study, with the goal of earning a bachelor’s degree during that time.
Should the necessity arise, a student may apply for permission to postpone the ensuing period of study for up to one year. For that time period, no scholarship payments would be granted to the student.
Students on deferment are encouraged to work with the Gates Scholarship Scholar Advocates and to take advantage of on-campus academic support resources in order to stay engaged and aid expedite re-enrollment and graduation.
If a Scholar plans to attend an accredited, non-profit, private or public university in Puerto Rico, can he or she qualify for funding?
Yes. In Puerto Rico, students can attend a US-accredited, non-profit, private or public institution.
What will I need to do to keep my Gates Scholarship eligibility during my college years?
To remain eligible, you must submit:
- A completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) prior to each academic year.
- Transcripts showing that you are continuing to meet your institution’s academic requirements, at the start of each academic year.
- Enrollment Verification forms dated the day after the start of each new term.
- The Scholarship Survey, when requested, every semester.
Other Recommended Scholarships:
Do you have any questions about the information we’ve provided? Please leave a note in our comment section and we will respond as soon as possible.
In order not to miss out on prompt updates from careerinfos.com, enter your email address below and hit the subscribe button beneath.
A confirmation link will be sent to your inbox or check your spam mails if its not in your inbox. Make sure you click the link to confirm your subscription in order not to miss any updates from this blog. All comments (related to the post above) should be dropped via the comment section below.