How To Get A Social Security Number As An Immigrant is quite easy. What you’ll need to acquire a Social Security card is Form SS-5, Two original documents verifying identification, immigration status, employment eligibility, and age.
The DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status is necessary for J visa holders. International students must present the most recent I-20 certifications,” and original documents only (no copies) are required.
How To Get A Social Security Number As An Immigrant
If you are not an American citizen and wish to work in the United States, you will require a social security number. For international employees, here is information on how to apply for a social security number and how to obtain a social security card. View guidelines for working in the United States.
What is a Social Security Number?
A social security number is a nine-digit identification number assigned to citizens, permanent residents, and non-immigrant working residents of the United States. To work in the United States, collect Social Security payments, or be eligible for other social services, you’ll need a Social Security number.
Types of Social Security Number
Social security cards are divided into three categories:
- The most popular form of social security card includes the individual’s name as well as their social security number. Citizens and lawful permanent residents of the United States are usually granted this kind.
- The second is for temporary employees or individuals who do not have legal status in the United States. They can be used to meet I-9 eligibility criteria and are valid for employment “with DHS authorization.”
- The third type is exclusively provided for tax purposes and cannot be utilized with the I-9 form or in the workplace. Learn how to enter the U.S
Note: An I-9 Form is a federal document that verifies a worker’s ability to work in the United States. You may want to learn about United States Work Visas.
Eligibility for a Social Security Number
- The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) can provide a Social Security Number (SSN) to temporary employees and non-immigrant visa holders who are permitted to work in the United States.
- Social Security numbers are used to report a person’s earnings to the government and to assess whether or not they are eligible for Social Security payments. To work and get Social Security benefits, you must have a Social Security number.
- A Social Security number is only available to non-citizens who are legally permitted to work in the United States.
- Those with a non-work-based temporary visa who are not authorized to work in the United States are not eligible to apply for a social security number.
How to Get a Social Security Number (SSN)
You can obtain a social security number and card in one of two ways:
OPTION ONE: When applying for an immigrant visa in the United States, you can apply for a social security number in your native country if you are 18 or older. The State Department is in charge of foreign affairs. When applying for an SSN, the US government will utilize the same information that you provided when applying for an immigrant visa.
After you arrive in the United States, your social security card will arrive at your postal address around three weeks later. You do not need to visit an American Social Security office after entering the United States, if you apply for a Social Security number outside of the United States.
OPTION TWO: If you are not an immigrant and did not apply for a Social Security number while applying for an immigrant visa, you must bring your petition and approval notices, which will indicate your lawful immigration status and authorized authority to work in the United States. Then you should visit a Social Security office in the United States to apply for a Social Security number and card.
Wait ten days after arriving in the USA. It will make it simpler for the Social Security Administration to check your Department of Homeland Security credentials online. This will speed up processing of your Social Security number application. It is completely free to apply for a Social Security number.
Information Required to Get a Social Security Card
- Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5)
- Two authentic documents showing your age, immigration status, and employment eligibility.
- A work permit, can be used as confirmation of both your identification and your work-authorized immigration status, in terms of documentation. Learn how to apply for a US work permit.
- It’s possible that your birth certificate or passport will suffice as evidence of age.
Additional Document Required for International Students and Foreign Exchange Visitors
- Part-time work is permitted for international students or foreign exchange visitors (J-1, J-2, F/M-1). They must present supplementary paperwork to establish their eligibility. The DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor Status is needed for J Visas.
- The most recent I-20 Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status is necessary for foreign students. Learn how to apply for a US student visa.
- To acquire a social security card, you must provide original papers. Photocopies and copies that have been notarized will be denied. You may want to learn how to find a job in the United States as an immigrant.
In order not to miss out on prompt updates from careerinfos.com, enter your email address below and hit the subscribe button beneath.
A confirmation link will be sent to your inbox or check your spam mails if its not in your inbox. Make sure you click the link to confirm your subscription in order not to miss any updates from this blog. All comments (related to the post above) should be dropped via the comment section below.