How to immigrate to UK from Singapore is searched by most Singaporeans wishing to relocate to the UK. Singaporeans must adhere to visa requirements in order to enter the United Kingdom. Since you are interested in migrating to UK from Singapore, keep reading to learn how to immigrate to UK from Singapore
Why Relocate to the UK from Singapore?
The United Kingdom is one of the most popular countries for Singaporeans looking to relocate. The majority of them come to the UK in search of work, and with the UK’s introduction of the Skilled Worker Visa, professionals from Singapore may now aspire to find work in the UK.
The United Kingdom has a high standard of living and a diverse population. Aside from that, it boasts a stable economy and world-class higher education institutions.
Do I need a visa for UK if I’m from Singapore?
If you are a Singaporean citizen and want to stay in the UK for less than 6 months, you will not require a visa. However, if you want to come to the United Kingdom from Singapore, you’ll need a UK visa and a resident permit.
Related: How To Immigrate to UK From China
Rules of Residing in The UK Without A Visa
The following are the rules for residing in the UK without a visa:
- Singaporeans can go to the United Kingdom to visit family and friends.
- Accepting work or claiming public funding in the United Kingdom is prohibited.
- A different form of visa is necessary in the case of civil partnership or marriage.
- When entering the United Kingdom, Singaporeans must have a valid passport, since border control authorities conduct checks in this regard.
- Furthermore, they may be questioned about personal funds for the duration of their stay in the UK. It is necessary to provide information about your lodging and proof of return airline tickets.
UK Migration Options for Singaporeans
There are various visa options to immigrate to the UK:
Tier 1 Visa for highly skilled immigrants via a points-based system
Tier 2 Visa for skilled workers who are sponsored by an employer in the UK
Provisional Work Visa (Tier 5) through the Youth Mobility Scheme
UK Study Visa (Tier 4)
General Requirement For A UK Visa
- You must have achieved the appropriate results on an English Language Proficiency Test (IELTS or TOEFL).
- You must not be a citizen of an EU or EEA member state.
- If you want to travel to the UK to study or work, make sure you have all of the necessary papers, such as work experience certificates.
- You must have sufficient cash to maintain yourself throughout your first few days in the country.
- For your visa, you must have the appropriate character and health certifications.
Points-Based System For Immigration
The United Kingdom’s government announced the implementation of a points-based immigration system in January 2021.
Features of the Point-Based System Migration
- The following are the major characteristics of the points-based migration:
- Candidates for immigration to the EU and non-EU countries shall be considered equally.
- The points-based system must be followed by highly skilled employees, skilled workers, and students who wish to immigrate to the UK.
- For skilled employees, a job offer is required.
- The salary requirement has been decreased from 30,000 pounds to 26,000 pounds per year.
- Applicants must demonstrate their ability to communicate in English (A-level or equivalent)
- Highly skilled employees must be authorized by a UK organisation, but they are not need to have a job offer.
- Students who wish to study in the UK will be subject to a points-based system and will be required to produce confirmation of an acceptance letter from an educational institution, as well as English competence and financial resources. Keep reading to learn more on how to immigrate to the UK from Singapore
How Can You Migrate To The UK From Singapore?
Still on exploring options on how to immigrate to the UK from Singapore, you can move to the United Kingdom in the following ways:
- With a job offer to work in the UK.
- Applying for a student visa for UK
- By getting married or engaged to a UK citizen or permanent resident
- As an entrepreneur setting up a business
- As an investor
Migrating to the UK for work
As previously stated, the majority of Singaporean immigrants travel to the United Kingdom to work. They will benefit from the new Skilled Worker visa. The Tier 2 visa scheme allows skilled professionals to immigrate to the UK. They can come to the UK on a long-term basis if their occupation is on the Tier 2 shortage occupation list. IT, finance, and engineering are among the most popular occupations on the list.
For foreign job applicants seeking to work in the UK, there are two major options:
Skilled Worker Visa
The UK Skilled Worker visa will now cover a larger number of people—The UK Skilled Worker visa was created to bring highly skilled foreign employees into the UK labor market and thereafter take up permanent residence in the country.
With this visa, skilled workers from other countries can be selected based on a shortage occupation list and get an offer letter without having to pass a labor market test, allowing them to stay in the UK for up to 5 years.
Eligibility requirements for the Skilled Worker visa
- To qualify in the stated criteria such as specialized skills, credentials, wages, and vocations, you must have a score of 70 points.
- You must have a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, as well as two years of competent work experience in one of the qualifying vocations.
- Have an employment offer from a Home Office-licensed sponsoring employer.
- You must fulfill the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages B1 English Language criterion.
- Earn at least £25,600, or the particular wage criteria for the occupation, known as the ‘going rate.’
Benefits of the Skilled worker visa to Singaporeans
- Visa holders are allowed to bring their dependents with them.
- On the visa, the spouse is permitted to work.
- There is no limit to the number of individuals who can enter the UK on a visa.
- The minimum salary requirement has been decreased from £30000 to £25600.
- Accelerated Healthcare workers, such as physicians and nurses, will be granted visas.
- Employers are not required to take the Resident Labor Market Test.
Tier 2 (Intra-Company Transfer)
For highly skilled workers from multinational companies who are being transferred to the UK branch.
Migrating to the UK to Set Up A Business
The Tier 1 visa offers two categories for setting up a business in the UK:
Tier 1 Innovator Visa
This visa category is for experienced business people who want to start innovative firms in the United Kingdom. A minimum investment of 50,000 pounds is required, and the firm must be supported by an endorsing authority.
You will be eligible for this visa if you:
- Are not a member of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland
- Do you want to start a company in the United Kingdom?
- Have a company concept that is both original and scalable?
Features Of The Innovator Visa
- If you enter the UK on an Innovator Visa or are already in the country on another valid visa, you can remain for up to three years.
- The visa may be renewed for another three years, and you can renew it many times.
- After five years on this visa, you are able to stay in the nation indefinitely.
Tier 1 Startup Visa
This visa category is reserved for high-potential entrepreneurs who are establishing a business for the first time.
This visa can be applied for three months before to your anticipated date of travel to the United Kingdom.
Requirement For the Tier 1 Startup Visa
Other prerequisites for qualifying include:
- You are not a European Economic Area (EEA) or Swiss citizen.
- You want to start a business in the United Kingdom.
- A UK higher education institution or a business group that promotes UK entrepreneurs must endorse the company idea.
- There is no need to make an initial investment.
- The applicant must be 18 years old or older.
- The applicant must be able to communicate in English.
- Applicants must have sufficient means to sustain themselves while in the United Kingdom.
Features of the UK Startup Visa
- This visa allows you to stay for up to two years and bring your spouse or partner, as well as unmarried children under the age of 18, with you.
- You can support your stay by working outside of your business.
- After two years, you cannot renew your visa, but you may apply for an innovator visa to prolong your stay and grow your firm.
Applying For A student Visa For UK
If you want to pursue a complete study program in the UK, you can apply for a Tier 4 visa. You can apply for a short-term UK study visa if you choose to take English language classes or other training courses.
Post-Study Options For International Students
- International students in the UK with a valid Tier 4 visa are allowed to stay in the country after completing their degree if they have a job offer that pays the requisite yearly income.
- To stay in the UK, they can transfer from a Tier 4 Visa to a Tier 2 General Visa with a five-year validity period.
- Students’ post-study job experience will assist them apply for permanent residency in the United Kingdom.
Work permits for Singaporean citizens
Working in the UK as a Singaporean citizen necessitates the acquisition of a specific permission in this regard. If the processes and papers are followed, the work permit will be issued by the UK immigration authorities. Learn about how a non EU citizen can work in the UK.
In order not to miss out on prompt updates from careerinfos.com, enter your email address below and hit the subscribe button beneath.
A confirmation link will be sent to your inbox or check your spam mails if its not in your inbox. Make sure you click the link to confirm your subscription in order not to miss any updates from this blog. All comments (related to the post above) should be dropped via the comment section below.