Funza Lushaka Bursary Application 2023/2024
How To Process Funza Lushaka Bursary Online Application
Funza Lushaka Bursary is now open for application. To access, register and apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary read and follow the steps outlined below:
Department of Basic Education
The department’s objective is to provide a viable 21st-century South African educational system where all students can access learning, training, and education. Their goal is to make South Africa a peaceful, successful, and democratic nation by enhancing the country’s educational system.
See How To Obtain Teaching License In South Africa
Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme
The Department of Education in South Africa, are inviting students to apply for the renowned Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme, for the current academic year.
Students pursuing teaching certification are asked to apply for the bursary each year. The Funza Lushaka Bursary will support two different sorts of degrees (which must involve coursework that will enable the student to focus on teaching in at least two priority subject areas):
Qualifications For Funza Lushaka Bursary
Undergraduate studies: a 4-year Bachelor of Education degree (BEd), which specialises in any of the following: Foundation Phase (Grade R to Grade 3), Intermediate Phase (Grade 4 to Grade 6) or Senior and Further Education and Training Teaching (Grade 7 to Grade 12).
Graduate studies: a 1-year Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) for graduates pursuing degrees with two priority subjects (1 module or course must have been completed or studied at 3rd year level, 1 priority subject must have been completed or studied at 2nd year level)
Only the PGCE for Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching (SPFET) (Grade 7 to Grade 12) will be funded.
Apply For South African Student Loans
Coverage Value, Renewal & Service Contract of Funza Lushaka Bursary
The bursary will pay for the following costs: tuition fees, books, study materials, lodging, meals, teaching practice, and allowance for general living expenses.
Students must reapply for assistance each year because bursaries are only given out for one academic year at a time. The bursary’s renewal is conditioned on the students’ academic progress and is NOT guaranteed.
Following graduation, bursary holders must fulfill a service contract that lasts for the same amount of time as the bursary cash received by teaching at a public school (chosen by the provincial education department, or PED).
Requirements For Funza Lushaka Bursary
Before applying, candidates must meet the minimal admission requirements listed below (please note that if you do not meet all of the requirements, your application will not be considered):
All applicants must meet the following criteria:
- You must be a South African citizen
- Must have a valid South African ID number
- You must be 30 years old or younger, if applying for the first time
- Must have been accepted to study towards a BEd degree or PGCE programme, specialising in at least 2 of the priority subject areas (extended programmes are not covered)
- You must have been accepted to study at a recognised tertiary institution in South African
- You must have a strong academic record
- Must be willing to teach at any school, as selected by the Provincial Education Department (PED)
- You must NOT be a Higher Education Institution employees (or a spouse, dependent or child of a Higher Education Institution employee)
- Must be committed and passionate about a career in teaching, including having an interest in working with youth; enthusiasm for teaching; and be willing and ready to face challenges with integrity
- You must NOT have any other teaching qualifications
- Must have a clear criminal record
- You must NOT have any charges of misconduct or have been dismissed from work
Funza Lushaka Requirement For First Timers
First time university entrants must also meet the following criteria:
- You must have achieved a Matric exemption, endorsement or bachelor degree admission
- Must have achieved a minimum of level 4 in Matric for 2 subjects you intend on specialising to teach
- Students who will specialising in Foundation Phase: you must have achieved a minimum level 2 pass for Mathematics OR or level 4 pass for Mathematical Literacy in Matric, AND a minimum of level 4 for your Home Language
- Students who will specialising in Intermediate Phase: you must have achieved a minimum level 2 pass for Mathematics OR or level 4 pass for Mathematical Literacy in Matric, AND a minimum of level 4 for your Home Language
- Students who will specialising in teaching Technology subjects (including CAT), who did not pass these subjects in Matric: you must have achieved a minimum level 4 for Mathematics or Technical Mathematics in Matric
Note: if the tertiary institution’s entry requirements are higher than the bursary requirement, or vice versa, the higher requirement will apply
Funza Lushaka Requirement For New Students
New students currently at university must also meet the following criteria:
- You must have passed all subjects in past year of tertiary study
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 55%, for all subjects studied in last year of tertiary study
- You must have achieved a minimum overall average of 66.5% for subjects related to the teaching area of specialisation in last year of tertiary study
Requirement For Students Enrolling For PGCE
New students enrolling for PGCE must also meet the following criteria:
- You must have completed a qualification that allows admission into the PGCE programme
- Must be studying towards the PGCE for Senior Phase and Further Education and Training Teaching (SPFET) (Grade 7 to Grade 12)
- You must have 2 priority subjects with 1 module successfully completed at third year level, and 1 module successfully completed at second year level
Must have sufficient modules in the priority subjects in order to qualify to teach it as a subject at school
Also Read: Career Choices And Required Subject
How To Apply
Candidates must carefully adhere to the following procedures in order to apply for the Funza Lushaka bursary for studies in 2023:
- Visit the e-Government Portal website
- Register an account by filling in your required personal details
- Login using your selected username and password
- Select the “Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme” on the e-Services Menu
- Insert the OTP you received
- Read and accept the Terms and Conditions
- Click on the “2023 application” button on the dashboard
- Fill in the required information
- Read and accept the declaration to confirm your information
Please keep in mind that there is NO acceptance of paper submissions; all applications must be submitted online.
Application Guidelines For Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Students must read the Funza Lushaka Bursary Information before applying
Must have a valid student number when applying (this will be received after you have been accepted or provisionally accepted at university)
- Ensure that your information submitted is correct – you will be able to access your online application to make any changes before submission
- Must ensure that your priority subject areas on your application for are the ones you will specialise in
Academic year of study means the level you are studying (B Ed 1 is 1st year, B Ed 2 is 2nd year etc)
- You are not allowed to change institutions after applying for the bursary
- Applying for the bursary does NOT automatically guarantee you will receive it
- Supporting documents must be submitted to your university’s Funza Lushaka office
Funza Lushaka Closing Date For 2023
Re-applications (existing or returning bursary recipients): 29 November 2022.
New applications: 1 February 2023.
(Applications submitted after these dates will not be accepted – please apply before the closing date to ensure your application is considered.)
Funza Lushaka Status Check
For any queries related to this bursary programme, please contact your University Funza Lushaka academic and administrative co-ordinators directly:
Alternatively, you may contact the Department of Basic Education here:
Tel: 012 357 3000
Email: [email protected]
(Please do NOT contact the Department of Basic Education, the Department of Higher Education and Training or NSFAS for queries regarding the bursary, please also do not come in person to the DBE).
Before you make an inquiry, please read the list of Funza Lushaka Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and answers.
FAQs On Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme
What amount does funza Lushaka pay per month?
The approximate amount of the bursary across all 24 institutions is estimated to be about R105, 568.
What is covered by the funza Lushaka bursary?
Tuition fees, lodging with meals, books and educational materials, and, if possible, a small grant for monthly living expenses may all be paid.
Is Funza Lushaka Funding Refundable?
Although Funza Lushaka does not expect repayment, you must accept a teaching position as soon as you are qualified. For the number of years for which you were financed, you must continue working as a teacher.
Does funza Lushaka solely support education?
The Funza Lushaka Bursary Scheme is a scholarship intended for students who are majoring in teaching or who want to finish their undergraduate or graduate degrees in education.
Are you eligible for NSFAS and funza Lushaka funding?
Students who previously received funding from NSFAS are eligible to apply for the Funza Lushaka Bursary Program to help pay for their future academic endeavors. The student must be accepted to a higher education institution to pursue either a BEd or a PGCE in order to be eligible.
Does funza Lushaka sponsor first year students?
The scholarship is also available to first-year students.
Is funza preferable to NSFAS?
No matter what course they are taking, NSFAS financing is available to students who are enrolled in one of the 50 TVET Colleges in South Africa. Funza Lushaka, on the other hand, doesn’t because they only support PGCE and Bachelor of Education programs, which are only offered at universities.
Does funza Lushaka have age requirement?
All first-time candidates are subject to the age restriction, and only students who are 30 years of age or younger are eligible to apply.
Best of luck with your application, from Careerinfos! Remember to SHARE this page with anyone you know who could be in need of financial assistance for scholarships.
In order not to miss out on prompt updates from careerinfos.com, enter your email address below and hit the subscribe button beneath.
A confirmation link will be sent to your inbox or check your spam mails if its not in your inbox. Make sure you click the link to confirm your subscription in order not to miss any updates from this blog. All comments (related to the post above) should be dropped via the comment section below.